Jesus shows me how to love and be kind. Jesus commands me to love. God wants me to be kind, tender and loving.
- Jesus is constantly moved by compassion to help the weak and brokenhearted.
- Jesus shows me the way.
- By the power of the Holy Spirit, I can be tender, kind and loving.
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Now this is some exceptionally good news. I am chosen of God. So, as God’s own chosen people, who are holy set apart, I am sanctified for His purpose and well-beloved by God Himself. Now that is something to shout about.
Where does that lead me?
That leads me to put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. That has the power to endure whatever injustice or unpleasantness comes with a good temper. I am to bear graciously with others, willingly forgiving others if I have a cause for complaint against another. The Master Jesus, King of God’s country, has forgiven me, so should I forgive.
- Philippians 2:1–2— Therefore if there is any encouragement in the Messiah, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
- 1 Corinthians 4:21— What do you desire? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love and a spirit of gentleness?
- Philippians 1:8— For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of the Messiah Jesus.
- 1 Peter 3:8— To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit.