I believe, based on the word of God, that the gift of the Holy Spirit is for all believers. Having searched the scriptures, I see nothing to refute this clear truth.
Jesus himself made this promise.
For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.
John 3:34 (ESV)
This is a very encouraging. The gift of the Holy Spirit is for all of us who are disciples of Jesus. Jesus promises us, if we ask (see Luke 11 below), he will give us the Holy Spirit.
It may be of interest that with the early believers, it was not just a onetime event. Of course, the first time they were filled with the Holy Spirit was documented in John 20:22 when Jesus breathed on them.
In Acts 2, we see this on the day of Pentecost:
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit …
After being filed with the Holy Spirit in Acts 2, we find this reference to a filling of the Holy Spirit in Acts 4. This is after they were released from jail. This was the third time (that we know of).
And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
- Luke 11:13 (ESV) — 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
- Acts 2:38–39 (ESV) — 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
- Acts 2:17 (ESV) — 17 “ ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams;
- Acts 5:32 (ESV) — 32 And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”
- Acts 10:45 (ESV) — 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.
- Acts 11:17 (ESV) — 17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?”
- Acts 15:8 (ESV) — 8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
- Romans 8:9 (ESV) — 9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
- Galatians 3:14 (ESV) — 14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:8 (ESV) — 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
- Hebrews 2:4 (ESV) — 4 while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.