Jesus is wrapping things up. They have had the last supper and Jesus has laid out the new contract (aka covenant, testament, or agreement). He is giving them a series of last insights before the crucifixion, burial, resurrection, and ascension occur. Everything is going to move very fast from here, but this is very important.
In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. 
Source: John 16:23-24
What is the key? The key, from Jesus himself, is to know what Jesus said or wants me to do. I have got to focus on Jesus and his word. There is nothing else really, but this isn’t easy for me.
What can I expect? If I focus on what Jesus wants, I can be confident that if I ask, God, our Father, will give it to me. Now that is some good news. It also requires that I know Jesus and what his will is. That is the tough part. More and more I must focus on what Jesus has or is saying. Some days that is not very easy.
What is the bonus? I can expect joy. Woo Hoo! Now that is a great filter. No joy, no life. If I am in the will of God, I will have joy. I will be more than happy. If I do not have joy, I better do some long and hard examination of why not. This is a great formula.
The will of Jesus + Asking = Joy
- Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God. Leon Bloy
- We are all strings in the concert of his joy. Jacob Böhme
- The joy that Jesus gives is the result of our disposition being at one with his own. Oswald Chambers
- Happiness depends on what happens; joy does not. Oswald Chambers
- When I think upon my God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit. Franz Joseph Haydn
- Life need not be easy to be joyful. Joy is not the absence of trouble but the presence of Christ. William Van der Hoven
- When I met Christ, I felt that I had swallowed sunshine. Stanley Jones
- Joy is the serious business of heaven. Clive Staples (C.S.) Lewis
- Joy is never in our power, and pleasure is. I doubt whether anyone who has tasted joy would ever, if both were in his power, exchange it for all the pleasure in the world. Clive Staples (C.S.) Lewis
- Joy is peace dancing and peace is joy at rest. Frederick Brotherton (F.B.) Meyer
- Happiness is caused by things that happen around me, and circumstances will mar it; but joy flows right on through trouble; joy flows on through the day; joy flows in the night as well as in the day; joy flows through persecution and opposition. It is an unceasing fountain bubbling up in the heart; a secret spring the world can’t see and doesn’t know anything about. The Lord gives his people perpetual joy when they walk in obedience to him. Dwight Lyman (D.L.) Moody
- Savior, if of Zion’s city I, through grace, a member am, / Let the world deride or pity, I will glory in thy name: / Fading is the worldling’s pleasure, all his boasted pomp and show; / Solid joys and lasting treasure none but Zion’s children know. John Newton
- The surest mark of a Christian is not faith, or even love, but joy. Samuel Moor Shoemaker
- This is the secret of joy. We shall no longer strive for our own way; but commit ourselves, easily and simply, to God’s way, acquiesce in his will and in so doing find our peace. Evelyn Underhill
- Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear His voice! / Praise the Lord, praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice! / O come to the Father through Jesus the Son: / And give Him the glory! Great things He hath done! Frances Jane van Alstyne
 The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Jn 16:23–24). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
 Manser, M. (Ed.). (2016). Christian Quotations. Martin Manser.