Is it really an issue of faith?
Many of us didn’t start out being disciples of Jesus. For me it has been a journey. My guess is that for you it either has been or will be.
You have great reasons you believe what you believe. I can attack those reasons directly but that probably won’t help you radically change how you are thinking about this. I want to help if you are willing to consider a journey.
Here are some steps to consider if you want to start. If you don’t, God bless you. We all need to change. LIFE is at stake.
Realize that you are a sinner – Before anyone can be saved they must first realize they are in need of being saved. No one is righteous (right with God) apart from believing in Jesus the Messiah. The Bible is clear that – There is none righteous, no, not one (Romans 3:10). For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus the Messiah our Master. (Romans 6:23)
To be saved we must ask God to forgive the sin in our life. The Bible calls this “confession.” To confess is to admit or acknowledge something. Literally it means “saying the same thing.” This implies that our sincere confession agrees with what God already knows and says to be true about us – that we are sinners before a holy God.
Confession is seeing your life as God sees your life, and acknowledging the sins God already knows you have committed. It’s saying, “God, I see me as You see me. I confess that I am a sinner, and I stand in need of Your saving grace.”
Come to know Jesus as your Saviour — I have missed God’s goal (aka sin). It is a gift from God that Jesus paid the price for me. Jesus saves me from death and brings me into life. LIFE starts with accepting Jesus as having saved me. I now have life and know the author of life. If you haven’t started, this is the first step.
Consider this about Jesus: “This has now been made evident through the appearing of our Savior the Messiah Jesus, who has abolished death and has brought life and immortality to light through the good news.” ~Apostle Paul (2 Timothy 1)
- Commit to Jesus as your Master — Jesus is King of God’s country. Jesus is in charge. I am not. Jesus is my Master. I am His slave. This is tough, but it is essential. Nothing happens without this change in how I think and act.
- Begin to radically change how you think and change your mind — This is known as repenting. Commit to how to live a new LIFE. The truth is you are wrong about lots of things. I am as well. What if you are wrong about LIFE? Please step back. You are in fact very wrong. I had to change how I was thinking. You do as well.
- Become a disciple — Salvation is the start, not the end. Jesus calls me to learn (aka be a disciple). One important part of learning that Jesus is King of God’s country is to learn about LIFE. This is journey. I radically changed how I think, and I learn from Jesus, who is King of God’s country.
- Hear what Jesus says — When you hear Jesus, you hear about LIFE. Jesus is clear. Read the four Good News books (aka Gospels); Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Read them again. Read them every day. Get what Jesus is saying into your heart and soul. Talk with God, your Father and with Jesus. Ask to hear the truth. Jesus is the TRUTH.
- Jesus (and God) say our job is to love — That means we are to love LIFE. There aren’t any exceptions. Jesus does not say it is okay to love everyone but the atheist. Jesus is clear He is the way to God.
Consider the Apostle John: “We know that we have passed from death to LIFE because we love our brothers and sisters. The one who does not love remains in death.”
Is it really an issue of faith?
- The big final thing is the “day of judgement” — I will stand before God. So will you. I will answer for love and LIFE. Will I hear “Good and faithful slave” from Jesus? Will you?
So, what will happen? I am confident, based on this journey, you will decide in favor of LIFE. If you don’t, please let me know what else I can do to be of help.