Welcome to Jesus Quotes and God Thoughts. You might be interested in:
- Teachings on the word of God
How can I help you? Questions? Go here for help.
- Issues like life, gender, marriage, LGBT, Israel, free speech and culture.
- What others say
- Quotes with a focus on what they mean in God’s world
- Leadership Quotes
- Μιχαήλ maintains 4 blogs:
We’ve probably all said “It’s Greek to me”. Language is important and translating words properly is important. Unfortunately some Greek word translations have lost meaning both to disciples of Jesus and those who don’t follow Him yet. Examples are “the Gospel”, sin, Christ, Lord, and more.
Here are some common Greek words, how they have historically been translated and my suggestions, based on the Greek. This is all supported by the major Greek lexicons.
- Christ — Χριστός Christos — Meaning: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. Translation: The Messiah
- Glory — δόξα doxa — Meaning: glory, honor, renown; an especially divine quality, the unspoken manifestation of God, splendor, stunning, beauty, brilliance, amazing. Translation: stunning brilliance and beauty.
- Gospel — εὐαγγέλιον euaggelion — Meaning: the good news of the coming of the Messiah, sometimes the human transmitter (an apostle). Translation: Good News
- Lord — κύριος kuriŏs — Meaning: lord, master, owner; the Lord. Translation: Master
- Repent — μετανοέω mĕtanŏĕō — Meaning: I repent, change my thinking, change the inner man. Translation: change my thinking
- Servant — δοῦλος dŏulŏs — Meaning: someone who belongs to another; a slave, without any ownership rights of their own. Translation: slave
- Servant — διάκονος diakŏnŏs — Meaning: a waiter, servant; then of any one who performs any service. Translation: servant
- Sin — ἁμαρτάνω hamartanó — Meaning: I miss the mark, hence (a) I make a mistake, (b) I sin. Translation: miss God’s goal