This is a stunning insight from Solomon. God’s goal for us is that we work. Work is Godly. Work is important. We are not to be lazy. We need to learn how to work and to work hard.
God has a goal for us. Sin is missing God’s goal. There is good news. God has given me a new life in Jesus. I can work and I can work hard. That is the real deal.
The work He has given us is good and noble. I am working for God. I am passionate about working for God.
If we won’t work, there are consequences.
- Our life will collapse.
- We will go hungry.
- Nothing good comes from being lazy.
Let’s get with it. There is a huge harvest out there for Jesus and we need more workers.
“Life collapses on loafers; lazybones go hungry.” ~King Solomon (Proverbs 19:15 The Message)
There is more! King Solomon really drives the point home.
Let’s get to work!
- Proverbs 6:6–8 (CSB) — 6 Go to the ant, you slacker! Observe its ways and become wise. 7 Without leader, administrator, or ruler, 8 it prepares its provisions in summer; it gathers its food during harvest.
- Proverbs 12:27 (CSB) — 27 A lazy hunter doesn’t roast his game, but to a diligent person, his wealth is precious.
- Proverbs 15:19 (CSB) — 19 A slacker’s way is like a thorny hedge, but the path of the upright is a highway.
- Proverbs 19:24 (CSB) — 24 The slacker buries his hand in the bowl; he doesn’t even bring it back to his mouth!
- Proverbs 20:4 (CSB) — 4 The slacker does not plow during planting season; at harvest time he looks, and there is nothing.
- Proverbs 21:25 (CSB) — 25 A slacker’s craving will kill him because his hands refuse to work.
- Proverbs 24:30–31 (CSB) — 30 I went by the field of a slacker and by the vineyard of one lacking sense. 31 Thistles had come up everywhere, weeds covered the ground, and the stone wall was ruined.
- Proverbs 26:15 (CSB) — 15 The slacker buries his hand in the bowl; he is too weary to bring it to his mouth!